Chatting on Aussie Home Brewer recently about my fondness for the traditional measurements for drinks in a pub, pots and pints, I commented that 'ordering beer by the yard would seem excessive'. To which, quick as a flash, another commenter quipped: 'Tell that to Bob Hawke'.
All true. However, it occurred to me a little after that perhaps it could be time for some new measurements and descriptions in pubs. Not millilitres or litres or grams - no, I'm thinking a whole new set of words to describe the drinker's life. A few suggestions follow:
pont - a disappointing pint, a pint that is closer to a pot. A pint that didn't make it. "A dissapintment".
shanky - a shonky shandy.
schooner-or-later - an excessively long wait at the bar. A schooner that takes a while to be drawn from the tap.
muddy - an ambiguous middy. (Readers may ask: what is so ambiguous about a middy? Perhaps the answer lies in the question. However, I'd suggest that after a few drinks, almost anything could appear ambiguous).
spot - the remnants of a pot.
spit - a worthless remnant of a spot (above), not enough to drink.
glug - the rate at which beer is poured into the jug.
hemidemisemijohn - an extremely small demijohn.
the full John - a big demijohn. Not so demi anymore.
phony - a pretend pony. Also, a faux po.
schlong-neck - larger bottle for the, ahem, discerning man.
stubble - smaller bottle for the metrosexual man with the five o'clock shadow.
the seven o'clock swell - time in the day when posh city chaps descend on the pub.
the nine o'clock squall - time when drunk backpackers descend on posh city chaps in the pub.
the eleven o'clock dill - there's always one of them.
the barrell o'farry - NSW keg measurement.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- Things to do on a hot day
- An opinion column about the weather
- Proposed new character for Sesame Street
- The dangers of excessive thinking
- Theology corner!
- Heyza, groovtacular heptasms!
- Degrees of dissatisfaction
- Super diet tips from Tim! SIX FOODS YOU SHOULD NEV...
- Ordering beer by the yard, and other knotty questi...
- Twongue twister
- .... get to know one another less?
- Terroir du Porepunkah
- Slug pub
- ▼ January (13)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)