It's the state election here in Victoria, and I thought I'd take this opportunity to explain some of the lesser known terms and concepts to Australian democracy.
The Election Roll is a ceremony undertaken by the winning candidate after all the votes are counted. It's an eccentric practice, bizarre, and often frankly barbaric; and therefore eminently suitable to Australian Democracy.
Alfred Deakin takes part in a roll down the hill in the early 20th century.
A Political Party will occasionally join together to try to turn a person into a politician. The process of person turning to politician is a dangerous one, and often irreversible: indeed, some politicians die that way. However, with gentle reassurance and care, they can gradually be turned back to normal people.
Many parties are in fact almost indistinguishable, including Labor, Liberal, the Democrats, the Democratic Labor Party, and the Liberal Democratic Party. As a matter of fact, about the only party with clear policies is the little known Party For The Worship of Gaknor The Magnificient, which stands on a platform of Death, Destruction, a Reign of Blood, Fire, Torment, and More Public Transport, which is why I voted for them.
Photograph from recent campaign launch by the Party For The Worship of Gaknor The Magnificient.
The Opinion Pole is a Polish person who lives in St Kilda, a suburb of Melbourne. He has no idea about Australian politics, or any other politics, for that matter, but for some reason, the newspapers keep on running columns by him. No-one knows why.
The Opinion Pole in traditional Melbourne costume.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2017 (36)
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- The Potato
- Oh No, I Voted For a Politician
- Advertising Slogans Suggested
- Of Piglets and Love
- Welcome to the Internet
- Miss Perkins is the Energetic Secretary of the Wom...
- The Cold Dark Matter of Life
- Post Humourous
- End to the Weekend
- Further Gloatations
- What I'm Reading
- Word of the Day
- The Extremely Cultured Yoghurt
- The End of the End of the World
- Gourmets are just confused Grommets
- A Disquisition Concerning the Amount of Silly Hat ...
- Religious Sunday To You All
- An Observation Made; and A Moral Drawn
- An Idyll on the Idle Ideal, or, Not Striving to M...
- Application To Perform a Play
- The Seven Habits of Highly Defective People
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2005 (287)