As I packed my bag full of clothes, books, notepads, papers, pens, a watch, a toothbrush, a newspaper, a magazine, and a handkerchief, I had a nagging suspicion that I'd forgotten to remember something. Forgetting to remember something is much worse than remembering to forget something; after all, when you remember to forget something, you get to plan your absent-mindedness in advance, to pre-emptively select any small accidents of memories you have for best effect. For instance, if you are going on a visit to friends, than it's much better to remember to forget to take that box of chocolates so that you can enjoy it after the visit on your own. If, on the other hand, you just forget to remember the box of chocolates, you'll only be reminded of what you have forgotten once its too late.
Of course, there are problems with remembering to forget things as well as forgetting to remember things: that is, you may forget to remember to forget the something you had aimed to remember to remember to forget. On the other hand, sometimes you remember the something you had forgotten to remember before it is too late (though in some cases you may simply choose to remember to forget this thing anyway, for convenience sake.)
And also, as one gets older, and looks back in one's past with sentiment and nostalgia, there may be more and more incidences that one can choose to remember to forget, if they don't forget to remember it first. That time the girl you had a crush on in school caught you picking your nose, for instance. Or that time you caught her picking her nose. Yes, we truly have a thousand golden happy memories in our lifetime that we may wish to repress.
Tomorrow, I'm taking off for a five day trip to Newcastle. Who knows what I may remember to forget, and what I may simply forget to remember? I certainly look forward to finding out...
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2017 (36)
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- Sunday ptoery
- It's important to note this
- Hour without power
- Hanging Chads (in some cases literally)
- Avert your eyes!
- Talk is cheap
- The family that plays together...
- Time unmemorial
- That certainly was an entertaining denouement I ne...
- Events of world-shattering import
- The Brock Hunter
- Things that are out of place
- He means what he says and he says what he means
- Have some Trauma, Norma!
- To see the world in a grain of ism
- Paradox of the day!
- A review of some of the recent weather we have had...
- Do you have any anecdotes to back up your evidence...
- Because you had to be told
- Sign I May Be Reading Blogs a Little Bit Too Much ...
- Pub untrivia
- Shakespeare I ain't...
- The conservative in railway cabin 4A
- ▼ March (24)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)