kidattypewriter

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A blogger's review of real life

I must admit that for the past couple of years, I've been an enthusiastic user of 'real life'. Although the real life technology is still backward, and has a number of flaws and glitches in the system, a growing number of bloggers are using it. Why, it seems like only yesterday that I ran into Armagnacd's 'actual' persona in the Melbourne botanical gardens. What a surprise that was!

Having an actual personality is, of course, one of the most difficult and challenging aspects of real life. It stands in sharp distinction to a blogger's ordinary practice of maintaining a number of different identities, sign-in names, joke personalities, and anonymities depending on which site they are visiting or using at the time. In 'real life', frequently, a person is required to make a statement and, astonishingly, stand by it! This couldn't be more different to blogs, obviously.

I'm still not quite sure what the attraction of real life is. I suppose real life is - well, it just is. Thankfully, the technology is becoming increasingly more accessible to bloggers, who can upload themselves into 'the world' with a few swift clicks of the mouse. This 'world' - the base for all operations in the real life technological platform - lies just beyond the computer screen, and is astonishingly varied and detailed. Many parts of the real life world now are almost as good, or at the least quite similar to, their blog equivalents! For instance, just the other day I participated in a real life functionality known as 'going down the street to get the papers'. Whereas previously we had to go to other websites to read about the news, all I had to do in real life was go to the newspaper agency.

There are still, regrettably, a number of deficiencies to real life technology. For instance, when I want to go down the streets in real life, or go to the shops, or go somewhere, I can't just hyperlink there - so the journey can take quite some time. And for the moment, real life is without a proper comments facility. I feel it would greatly enhance the usability of real life if people were able to type in comments while engaging in one of its functions.

On the other hand, unlike blogs, real life has 'morality', a new and exciting function that I feel has great potential to be developed more. Users of real life are expected to strictly conform to certain 'moral' notions. This is a great innovation, though I'm not sure where the innovation came from, exactly. Anyway, it's one of the principal attractions of real life, and helps to explain why an increasing number of bloggers are using it every day.

As an added attraction, currently, real life is not owned by any major corporation. Bill Gates has recently attempted to buy out the copyrights for real life, without success. (Though apparently sponsorship deals are being worked out with a number of major companies.)

Still, I wouldn't use real life all the time. The strain is just too much, and some of the functions are too primitive. But I can heartily recommend it for those who are just simply curious, or want to log off the computer for a while and wander around.

Real life: four stars out of five.

13 comments:

Jeremy said...

You, Mr T, are a wit.

PS I'm not bothering with Real Life until at least Service Pack 2. Too many bugs and incompatibilities.

Anonymous said...

The real problem with real life, of course, is the inability to ban people from visiting you in it. I have been looking into some kind of patch for that, whereby I could keep, say, whiny students / nosy neighbors away from my office / home, but the bug persists!

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Real life is all well and good, but I note that you got more comments for your post about smarties.

TimT said...

There are those who are on the side of smarties, and those who are on the side of real life. I am personally a moderate who believes that both have their place. But it's true, I could be bribed with smarties, if anyone cared to do it.

Ampersand Duck said...

I feel Real Life cannot be separated from Smarties.

TimT said...

Indeed, it's high time the real life software designers worked out some form of moderation device whereby disagreeable visitors are kept out, and smarties and other types of chocolate are let in, just like the blog spam filter.

DS said...

But, aren't blogs real? Tell me it isn't true.

TimT said...

Yes, they aren't. No, it is. No, wait... now I'm confused.

Miss Schlegel said...

I think you're all getting real life mixed up with that Cadbury's ad where everyone's made of chocolate.

Tim said...

Brilliant. I reckon you could get that published somewhere, you know, in one of those real life publications.

Armagny said...

We met because I actually installed a Tim T widget into my trial use of BETA 'Real Life'.

Your widget was quite effective, but as Jezza points out, Real Life generally is still a work in progress...

Caz said...

I believe I can buy a second life if I wish to, even though, as you note, the first life isn't nearly as functionally convenient as we've been led to believe.

Caz said...

Yes, as Jeremy has alluded to, much like Vista, no one ever seems to get the hang of life, and no matter the number or rebuilds, reboots, patches, fixes, the bloody thing is utterly incompatible with all of the things with which one wishes to interface, and none of the right bloody drivers are available!

BTW - getting to the shops has been solved: online line grocery shopping. Works a charm. No unexpected comments from strangers, and no having to be quick on your feet with an answer when some random check out person asks: "are you having a nice day?".

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive