I always liked that saying, 'be with you in two shakes of the lamb's tail'. It seems an exceedingly strange method of measuring the time, but rather pleasing in its absurdity nonetheless.
The Baron informed me today, to my surprise, that this phrase refers merely the time that the lamb will take to shake its own tail. Personally, I had always imagined that the speaker was talking as if they themselves were shaking the lamb's tail. I mean, you can't imagine that lambs would wander around shaking their own tails in a regular fashion merely to please humans, do you? This is a job we have to do for ourselves. Why humans would go around shaking lambs' tails, I do not know. Then again, there are a great many things we do not know about this world, so let's not tie ourselves into knots over this one. We probably shouldn't tie the lamb's tail into knots either, for that matter, a little shake would do.
UPDATE! - Just as it is with shaking lambs' tails, so is it with lambs' frisking, frollicking, frivolling, and gamboling on the meads. If there isn't a Department for the Management of Lambs' Frisking, Frollicking, Frivolling, and Gamboling on the Meads, there ought to be, as it is certainly much too serious an activity to be left up to the lambs themselves. It should be entirely supervised and performed by trained humans.
UPDATE UPDATE! - The Baronial Matriarch sends through this instructive video of a lamb gambolling. Please pay close attention:
Note effective deployment of bed springs for extra uplift, use of all available limbs, and frequent recourse to all four corners of the bed. Now just think how much more effective this gambolling could be if an experienced person had been in charge!
Watch the video again if you like. And again. Take all the time that you need. There is a lot to learn from it.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (53)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- The Age of Nefarious
- Be festy! Go to festivals!
- Brief record of my thoughts
- What did Chad ever do to deserve this?
- Proposed Herald Sun article
- Godwins Law sub-clause viii
- The parable of the polls
- Badly hung parliaments
- To do list
- Preponderant ponderings on matters of chronologica...
- Crime news
- The Tim Herald
- If Bram Stoker wrote the 2010 Australian election ...
- Toothpaste ruminations
- Location location location smash bang
- If Matthew Reilly ever wrote a novel about killer ...
- They always let you down
- Gluemy meditations
- Important information
- His beard was curly-whirly
- Cheering little tomes
- You're wearing my dress, bitch!
- Kitty Katter
- The moley sonnets, v. VIII, p. 109
- ▼ August (27)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)