kidattypewriter

Sunday, October 03, 2010

What the cool kids do for fun

You wouldn't believe the amount of pleasure I get from typing a sentence, and using a well-placed comma in the middle of it. Hyphens, colons, single quotation marks, double quotation marks, and parentheses are equally satisfying: but the frisson of pleasure I get upon using a semi-colon, in an appropriate fashion, in the midst of a series of clauses is so unbelievable, that if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. (And nor, possibly, would I). I have been known to spend minutes, and sometimes hours, putting commas, hyphens, and colons into a poem, merely to take them out again later and replace them with something else. As Oscar Wilde once said:

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.

It's what the cool kids do for fun, after all.

2 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

Yes. Yes! A thousand times yes, I love punctuation and insert punctuals at random ... (whether appropriate or not) as the mood takes me.
My fantasy is that Don Watson and Lyn Truss would have a child who wrote (well of course it would write).

Over at Tweeter: Mr Steve Martin has succumbed (maybe he saw Rob Lowe in 'Social Networking') and here is one of his - #STEVEMARTINTOGO - I liked:

#Did you know it’s possible to Tweet a concise, grammatical, correctly punctuated sentence that is exactly one hundred forty characters long? 5:07 AM Oct 2nd

TimT said...

He should get a blog! (Though maybe he already had one.)

This may have had a number of inappropriately-placed punctuation marks, and incorrectly-used words, originally. Didn't say I'm perfect!

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive