kidattypewriter

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

All-purpose Australian national anthem

All-purpose Australian national anthem; encompassing geometry, geography, geology, the monarchy, unions, democracy, agriculture, parliaments, and patriotism

(Full context found in the comments at Still Life With Cat.)

Australians all let us rejoice,
Our land is sort of square!
With triangles and pointy bits
That stick up in the air.
We also kind of have a Queen,
But she lives overseas:
Plus: unions, parliaments, and sheep,
And eucalyptus trees.
In joyful strains let us rejoice -
God save our Gracious Queen!

7 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Scansion: 11/10.

Anonymous said...

[wipes a single tear from one patriotic eye]

TimT said...

I just discovered that I unintentionally mixed up two phrases in the second last line - 'In joyful strains then let us sing' and 'Australians all let us rejoice'. I could change it but I won't. It would be un-Australian.

Previous variation on the anthem can be found here.

Unknown said...

So proud, so proud. So true!

Deborah said...

Brilliant. I'm going to take it along to my daughters' school and suggest they sing it.

M L Jassy said...

it's fantastic. Now all it needs is
a second verse that no one will ever be able to remember.

TimT said...

Oh yeah.

That.

I would totally have made a second verse up, but I... didn't remember... ?

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive