Check out this big-ass German compound-noun I learnt in high school:
It means something like hot water swim bath. But that's nothing compared to this big-ass German compound noun:
Apparently it means something like, "the club for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services."
Not that I'm a genius in the German-language or anything - I don't accidentally write posts in German while drunk, for instance - but I reckon those Germans have got it right. It's about time English got some more compound nouns of its own ...
Glass = Drinkthing
Knife = Cutthing
Once we get the basics of compound nouns, we can start working putting concepts together:
Fork = Eatthingthatgoeswithcutthing
Spoon = Othereatthingthatgoeswithcutthing
Sound beautiful, don't they? There are no end of everyday items that these nouns can be applied to. Transport items, for instance:
Car = Itemthatgoesvroom
Road = Longflatstonyobjectthatitemthatgoesvroomgoesvroomon
Or things of nature:
Tree = Woodthingwithleafystuff
Bird = Thingthatlivesinwoodthingwithleafystuff
Hat = Roundclothingitemforupperbodypart
Market = Largeplaceforexchangingmoneywithgoodsand/orservices
And the body:
Head = Upperbodypart
Hand = Bodypartattheendofanotherbodypart
Once you get all this worked out, you can turn quite short, dull things like poems into impressively long and incomprehensible works of art. Thus:
I put my hat upon my head
And went into the Strand
And there I met another man
Whose hat was in his hand.
This becomes this:
I put my roundclothingitemforupperbodypart upon myupperbodypart
And went into the largeplaceforexchangingmoneywithgoodsand/orservices
And there I met another collectionofseveralbodyparts
Whose roundclothingitemforupperbodypart was in his bodypartattheendofanotherbodypart
Or this brief quatrain:
One day I saw a bird
Sitting in a tree
And that little tiny bird
Was looking back at me.
Becomes this epic of personal experience:
One day I saw a thingthatlivesinleafystuff
Up in a woodthingwithleafystuff
And that little tiny thingthatlivesinleafystuff
Was looking back at me.*
*(I'm still working on a compound noun for this one. It's a toughie.)
UPDATE - What's that - this post was boring? Oh, go and look up swear words in the dictionary then. Some people are never amused!
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2017 (37)
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- Ten Lessons in Etiquette
- Replacing Less Complicated Words With More Complic...
- Possible Characters For Novels #1
- Tragic Mushrooms
- Leaky Pen
- As "Easy" as "Pie"
- The Gospel According To Tim
- What Memes May Come
- Cough, Splutter, Etc
- When The End Isn't The Finish
- A Letter To My Fellow Workmates
- Inaccurate Magazine Titles
- Ways To Amuse Yourself #3
- O Come Into The Garden, Maudlin
- Photo Phun
- Gloomed To Death
- Friday Morning Fun!
- That Sinking Feeling
- Become Crappy For No Good Reason
- A Song from Smelbourne
- Attention, Girls and Boys
- A Note on the Curious History of Trans Allosquia
- Drumroll, Please ...
- Fragments of Conversation I Overheard Yesterday Wh...
- For Fucks Sake
- The Drinklings
- Hairy Story
- Yawn of the Dead
- ▼ November (32)