My alarm went off at 6.00 or thereabouts. By 7.00 I struggled, bleary-eyed and cranky, into Penn Station
with a few things plonked into my backpack and a three-day pass hastily shoved into my pocket.
This was one of the first things I saw:
I'd like to see them publish that in Australia!
About an hour-and-a-half later, I was plonked out of the train and on to the streets of Philadelphia. Wandering down a few streets, I found a little terrace of shops, and the full horror of exploitative Capitalism hit me!
I reeled as if I had been struck! If only people could learn to distribute their goods in a more equitable manner, and not give in to... Oh, wait. Things were pretty quiet that day, actually. And I did give in to my consumeristic urges and buy a nice Ogden Nash book of poetry from that bookstore. Damn you, Capitalism!
I noticed there were light-rail lines laid out across the street, but not much light-rail going by. They didn't actually start up until noon or thereabouts:
You can't believe how excited I was when I saw this tram. I was all, like, 'Gee. It's a tram.'
The excitement lasted all of half-a-second.
For a while I contemplated taking a wander in the graveyard to take my mind off my gathering ennui and think about something light and frivolous - ie, death:
Good thing I didn't. I don't think the zombies come out of the ground in these places until after dark, and I had a train to catch.
I was so relieved when I got back in New York. What with their exciting Macy's store (with the missing 'S')
and the Yiddish equivalent of Wendy's icecream
Well gosh, it's the place to be.
For three more days, at least.
Pennsylvania is nice, though. It would be interesting to catch the town on a livelier day. You know, when the zombies burst out of their graves, or something.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- In Which Nothing Is Said, And Great Deal Isn't Imp...
- A Serious Case Of Conceptual Pornography Art
- Post Made For The Purposes Of A Pun
- Honest Spam
- Off Topic
- Stuff Wot I Have Read
- An Explanation of un-Australianess.
- A Cultural Evening
- Slam Sham
- Dude Food Blogging
- The Seven Derangements of Doctor Arturo Quar
- My Charity Is Bigger Than Your Charity
- Craptitude Test
- In My Humble Opinions
- Celebrity Dog? Give Me Snowy Anyday...
- A Possible Solution To Our Energy Woes
- The Fable of the Largely Unsatisfying Fable
- Headlines Spotted
- A Pointless Story
- Esq Train, Third Gutter on the Left
- Whale of a Time
- Life is Change...
- The Magazine For Highly Concerned Inattentive Peop...
- Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (In Your Pants)
- A New Lexicon For International Air Travellers
- At Narita Airport
- A Definition
- Broadway Nights and Subway Days and Matinees
- I think, therefore I Amish: Further Scintillating ...
- Great Moments In Junk Food
- Loving Expletives Redolent With Nostalgia
- Ex-Ex-Gay Comes Out Of the Closet (Again)
- Just You, Me, My Subconscious Mind, and All Those ...
- Trip to Philadelphia - a Photo Essay
- The Things On Pier 39, and other San Francisco Pic...
- A Tip on Tips
- San Franciso, in an Unpredictable Fashion
- Not Me
- ▼ March (38)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)