kidattypewriter

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Dispatches From The Bureau Of Grammatological Regulation

There is a God, and he reserves an especially painful place in hell for all those who misplace apostrophes. This week, several alerts have landed on my desk from our team, informing me of flagrant underuse, abuse, or misuse of the apostrophe.

From Ontario, Canada:

"Steves not here, he's having an affair."

From Kraspenville, New Zealand:

"What about your's truly?"

Add to this several examples of the mixing up of the words 'It's' and 'Its' from various locations in Australia.

The offenders have all been identified by our informant network, and will be harshly dealt with.






Today a particularly ugly memo fell on my desk. It read:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

If I had not known better, I would have thought that someone was laughing at me. However, I immediately recognised it as a 'Punctuation Inquiry' form from our Bolivian offices. I briefly contemplated how it might begin:

"HA: HA HA, HA HA, HA HA, HA. HA ..." (etc)

or:

"HA, HA; HA, HA; HA, HA. HA!" (etc)

or even:

"HA ... HA ... HA ... HA ... (HA HA HA HA HA) ..." (etc)

However, it was unclear from the meaning of the passage which would be more suitable. I duly filed the form away to be sent to my superiors, and went about my business.






Once a man found his way into these offices. He was screaming and gibbering and rending his hair, like a beast from out of the jungle. I sat him down, soothed him, told him to calm down, and bought him a cup of tea. Finally, I recognised him: it was Jones that I had worked with for so many years! It was then that I realised what had happened to him: some years ago, Jones had made a minor error of punctuation - using a semicolon where a colon would do, or some such offence - and, as a major of rote, had been sent in to the camps for Grammatological Correction. I had never thought to see him again.

Sometimes it is not easy, living under the constant dread of Grammatological Correction. I have to keep a close eye on my Capitals. They are especially liable to overuse.






I have a particularly interesting task today:

DIE PIGGY DIE DIE PIGGY DIE PIGGY DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE PIGGY DIE ALL PIGGIES ARE SATANIC TOOLS DIE PIGGY YOU DIE PIGGY MUST DIE PIGGY

What is the clearest way of punctuating this sentence? It was a fragment of text scrawled on a scrap of paper lying at the bottom of a bin. Thankfully, it was spotted by one of our agents in London, and bought in to our offices.

After I have pulled the sentence in to shape, it may be put to good use in the world, in a death letter, or an official government form. I am at times very proud of my work.






A warning today from someone calling herself Alfina. It turned up on my desk, on the back of a postcard (it had a picture of Venice on the front).

"It has come to our attention that you have not been paying much attention to your use of the full stop." she writes. "Heed our memo! If you do not use the full stop more judiciously, then I will put a full stop to you. Period."

I don't know who this Alfina is, but she's obviously very high up in our organisation (and believe me, it's quite big.)
I'd better be more careful from now on.






Can't sleep. Or rather, don't want to sleep. Am suffering from constant nightmares. I dream I am an ellipsis, coming at the end of a long short story (or possibly a short long story) by a famous author, possibly Borges. The story is also a single sentence. I always wake up, yelling hysterically, and crying; wondering what is to come next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the surreal dream about being an ellipsis! I've never dreamed of being a punctuation mark, but a semicolon once told me it dreamed of being me.

TimT said...

Dare I ask, how did the semicolon impart this message to you?

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive