"I'm watching Parkinson on the telly tonight" - my Mum.
The lifestyle of the Greater National Celebrity (Nationalus Celebritus) goes something like this: man of the moment, man of the year, man of the decade, rock bottom, new claim to fame, national icon, archeological relic in the museum.
Michael Parkinson currently hovers between 'national icon' and 'archeological relic in the museum'. This guy's been around for so long that he was doing television shows in the 1960s. Man, he's so old, that even his wrinkles have wrinkles. Rumour from the British film and television industry is that the BBC has separate unions working on either of his ever-increasing jowls.
The Amazing Jowl Man himself.
He's a cunning old sod. His schtick is to act like he has absolutely no personality whatsoever, so as not to show up the various other celebrities that appear on his show - usually, it works. The one exception is the case of Meg Ryan - an interview which failed so dismally and so spectacularly that it indicates Ryan may, in fact, have negative personality*.
The show is apparently about the 'other people' - the Lesser Hollywood Celebrity (Hollywoodus Celebritus) and the occasional British Celebrity (Britishoidus Celebritus). Don't you believe it; Parkie was probably writing articles for Punch before these animals were born.
Parkinson and some twit.
Parkinson and some more twits.
Parkinson and the Budgie.
If what science-fiction tells us is true (and I'll be damned if it isn't), and we're due for another Dalek conquest of earth, then Parkie will be the first one to interview our new overlords:
PARKINSON: Good evening. On the show tonight, Some Hollywood Blonde, Stephen Fry, and a Dalek!
DALEK: You must all be exterminated! Exterminate! Exterminate! (Fires death ray into the audience, to sounds of screams, smells of burning flesh, etc, etc.)
STEPHEN FRY: Well, somebody got bad movie reviews, didn't they?
Michael Parkinson, I salute you!
*Added this sentence on Monday because ... um, because ... hey, look over there! A flying saucer! (Runs away)
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2017 (33)
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- AFL Grand Final
- I'll Give You Tattoos!
- A Brief Post About Figures of Speech
- Murdering With a Grin
- Egg-Nogging and Blogging: A Matter of Grave Concer...
- Quite, Unquite
- One Sunday Morning, There Was a Beatnik In My Awni...
- Breaking News: Laughing Man Laughs
- A Style in the While of S J Perelman
- Thoughts on Fossils From One Who May Someday Be a ...
- Congratulations, It's An Appendix
- Quote of the Day
- Law for the Lawless
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Physics Won By Andy's...
- In This Workplace, We Obey The Law of Gravity
- Another Cosmopolitan Experience in This Multicultu...
- A Defence of Doctor Who
- La Femme, La Gun, La Petit Kitten
- Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Duck
- Apropros of Nothing ...
- The Platonic Couch Meets Reality
- Lost in Thailand ...
- Fair and Balanced
- What I'm Reading
- Important News!
- Some Of The Lesser Known Sequels To Mein Kampf
- Important Announcement!
- What Does Google Know About Shakespeare?
- A Political Dilemma
- The Meme Scheme
- I Feel Like Radioactive Chicken Tonight
- Jolly Penguin Jape
- Vengeance of the Scaly Ones
- What's The Going Price on Sackcloth and Ashes?
- Meals Which Should Not Have Been Invented
- A Number of Television Shows Could Be Improved By ...
- The Age Melbourne Festivals
- Appointment, The Opposite Of
- How To Understand The Melbourne Writers' Festival
- So, Since It's Getting Late on a Saturday Night .....
- Amazing Jowl Man
- Blog News Presented As Tongue Twisters
- ▼ September (42)
- ► 2005 (287)