kidattypewriter

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Alchemical transmutations you can do at home

The other day, preparing a cup of Twinings* raspberry tea, I flung the tea bag into the bin on the other side of the kitchen. Naturally, either the tea bag, or the bin, or both, conspired to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the result that the tea bag splotched all over the wall, leaving a massive dripping red stain, the sort that you might expect to see in a Hammer movie, or the like. I made a few desultory attempts to clean it up with the sponge, but, you know....

Coming back to the stain half an hour later, with another sponge, and renewed vigour, I discovered... that the entire stain had turned a bizarre shade - of blue.

Twinings: just what do they put in that stuff?

*I know, but the boxes are pretty.

4 comments:

Dan the VespaMan said...

Clearly, at the Twinings Tea factory, they had surplus supplies of blueberries. By using a little artificial red food colouring they were able to concoct a convincing raspberry tea albeit using the aforementioned alternate berries. However, the food colouring obviously was unstable upon exposure to hot water and after 30 minutes had dissipated revealing the mark of the actual berries used.

TimT said...

I was thinking that. My other theory is that the paint on the walls ran a little (it's yellow), mixed with the red raspberry tea, and formed a blue stain.

Shelley said...

Yellow + red = blue?

I need to add some yellow to my blog.

TimT said...

Just a theory - I hadn't necessarily thought it through. :) I guess Red and Yellow are quite close to one another on the colour spectrum, so they'd be more likely to make orange.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive