kidattypewriter

Monday, July 04, 2005

Nutty Story

It's Friday. I'm sitting in the office at the end of a long shift - I've been working since 9.30 in the morning, and it's now 9.00 pm at night.
The work itself is ridiculously simple. We have to type long strings of numbers (and no one seems to know what the numbers are counting) into a database (though no one seems to know why, exactly). Or sometimes, just for a change, we have to look at long strings of numbers other people have typed into a database, and retype them. And during the breaks, we go into the coffee room and swear at our supervisor behind her back.

Chris asks how long I've been working for today. I tell him. He responds by offering me a snack from a bag of nuts he's been carrying. I take one.

It's then that it occurs to me that I've been working, quite literally, for peanuts. *

*And anyone who makes jokes along the lines of 'nibble on another mans nuts' can go and stand in the far corner!

No comments:

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive