kidattypewriter

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Walkers Walk in the Walk Against Want

"I'm not going to lie to you, mate. I hate it when people lie to you. Can you give me some spare change so I can go and buy some cheap booze and get wasted?" - Beggar on Bourke Street.

So, apparently at work we're going to have to go to some Walk Against Want thing later this year. You know, wander down the streets for an hour or so, get sponsored, and send the sponsorship money to some charity or the other.

I'm not sure I see the point. Sure, it's a good thing to do Good Things, but why does it have to be so much work? I'd prefer something else:

The Leisurely Sit Down Against Need!

The Ten-Hour Nap Against World Poverty!

But nobody seems to want to sponsor it.

Then again, what can you expect? One of the most popular charity events in Australia is the forty hour famine. You voluntarily stop eating for two days, in order to raise money for people who have to stop eating, compulsorily, for their whole lives. That's right. In order to end world hunger, you perpetuate it.

Call me a cynical right-wing penny-pinching heartless fuckface bastard, if you will (No, please! No one ever calls me that!), but does this stuff really work?

4 comments:

Tony said...

Agreed. If you want some dough, just ask. Don't make me do things!

Anonymous said...

Just donate money and do nothing then! :)

Kathryn said...

hey Tim, everyone calls you that. You know it.

Anonymous said...

bwaaaahahaha, you've got some great ideas! By the way, where does the Walk against Want leave wheelchair-bound folk like myself? At least a got an excuse to be lazy;)

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive